SPAIN FACT FILE
- Official Languages: Spanish
- Population: 48 million
- Capital: Madrid
- Government: Parliamentary Monarchy
- Literacy: More than 98% can read and write.
- Currency: Euro
- Calling Code: +34
- Time Zone: GMT+2
- National Colours: Red and Yellow
- National Day: 12 October (Fiesta Nacional de España)
Spanish originated in the Iberian Peninsula as a dialect of spoken Latin, which is today known as “Vulgar Latin”, as opposed to the classical Latin used in literature. The Spanish dialect which is quite dominant in Europe is called “Castellano” or “Castilian” Spanish. It is Romance language like French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, and many others. Spanish is the official language in 20 countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, Spain, Uruguay, and Venezuela.
Spanish colonisation brought the language to the Americas beginning in 1492. Today, “Latin America” refers to countries that were subject to Spanish, French, and Portuguese imperialism and therefore still speak a Latin-based language. Consequently, Spanish colonisation in Latin America and a few other areas of the globe, Spanish became the official language in these countries today, and is spoken by 450 million native speakers world-wide. Spanish colonies fought for their independence from Spain throughout the 18th century by maintained Spanish as their official language.
Some Fascinating Spanish Language Facts
If you wish to learn Spanish language then it is important to know the history and origin of the language you are learning. Langma School of Languages offers an insight into fascinating Spanish language facts.
1. Spanish is a Romance language derived from “Vulgar Latin”
Arab rule in Spain during the Middle Ages left its mark on the Spanish language; many Arabic words were incorporated into Spanish. With the reconquest , Spanish spread and became the dominant language on the Iberian peninsula. Spanish language the further expanded as Spain developed colonial empire, especially America, bringing on the same occasion many Amerindian words to the Spanish language.
2. Spanish is spoken by 559 million people around the world
450 million of Spanish speakers are native speakers. It is estimated that there are more than 21 million students of Spanish as a foreign language. Spanish is the second most studied language in the world. It is the official and second official language of more than 22 countries and is also spoken in numerous other countries. This includes the United States there are 45 million Spanish speakers making it the second largest Spanish-speaking countries in the world and is expected to become the largest by 2050.
3. Spanish uses inverted exclamation and question marks
This is unlike most other languages where a simple exclamation or question mark is used at the end of an exclamation or question. Spanish uses inverted exclamation and question marks to highlight the exclamation or question part of a sentence. For example: Jose, ¿adónde vas? – Jose, where are you going?
4. Like most languages, Spanish has its own very unique words which cannot be translated in other languages
Useful examples include:
- Vergüenza Ajena: feeling embarrassed for someone even if he/she doesn’t feel embarrassed him/herself;
- Empalagar: have you ever disliked something because it was too sweet? This word perfectly describe this situation;
- Sobremesa: in Spain and Latin American countries, it is common to stay at the table after a meal and share conversation and anecdotes with family and friends over a cup of coffee or some wine.
5. Spanish is a “Phonetic Language”
Spanish is easy to learn since it is a “phonetic language” each letter of Spanish alphabet represents a certain sound. This means that if you know how a letter is spelled, you can always pronounce it which makes Spanish an easy language to learn and speak. The only exception one may find is the words of foreign origin, as they usually retain the original spelling.
Similarities in Spanish and English
- Both languages have a grammar structure base on the tense. The basic structure of the sentences is the same, but the other functions change the positions as adjectives.
- Both languages share Latin influence and share words like sofa, idea, bar, and so on.
- Spanish has all the parts of speech you learned when you learned English in school. Spanish has nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc. And they work in a similar way and Spanish makes plurals like English by adding “s” to the end for most of the words.
- The Spanish spoken in Spain has different words and some of the letters make different sounds from the Spanish spoken in other parts of the world. In a way this is similar to the way the English of England is somewhat different from the English spoken in the United States.
- We all know that many languages use a character set that is completely different and removed from the English character set we are used to – Not so with Spanish. Spanish, for the most part, uses the letter written and shaped exactly as the letters we have been using all our lives.
Some Interesting Facts About Spain
- Spain follows a capitalist mixed economy and is considered the 13th largest economy in the world, and the 5th largest economy in the European Union.
- Living expenses in Spain is quite inexpensive if compared with other European countries like the UK or France.
- Spain’s foreign direct investment in the United States is more than $86.8 billion.
- Spain is the 5th largest economy in the EU with GDP of $1.9 trillion.
- Spain is the world’s largest producer of Olive oil.
- Spain is the 2nd largest country in terms of area in the EU.
- Despite being one of the world’s most powerful countries, Spain officially remained neutral in both world wars.
- Spain produces the 2nd highest amount of saffron in the world, after Iran.
- There are a number of Spanish origin artists, such as Picasso, Gaudi, Valasquez, and Salvador Dali.
- There are more than 8000 beaches in Spain.
- La Tomatina is an annual festival held in Spain where people throw thousands of tomatoes at each other.
Spanish Culture: Customs & Traditions
Spain is famous around the globe for “Flamenco” music and dance, bullfights, fantastic beaches, and lots of sunshine. Spain has been one of the cultural centres of Europe for thousands of years. Spain has an extraordinary artistic heritage. Spain is predominantly Roman Catholic country with approximately 94% of the population affiliated to that religion. During the history of Spain, there have been long periods where different religious groups have coexisted, including Muslims, Jews, and Christians. The culture of Spain is very unique, the Spanish are very welcoming and the country is known for its exotic beaches and lots of sunshine. Spain is also called the land of bullfighting because bullfighting is a very popular sport in Spain.
Why choose Langma School of Languages for learning Spanish
- Langma School of Languages is the pioneer in providing quality education of Spanish language to students. We at Langma School of Languages combine several things to create a unique learning experience that has set us apart. Our students share their belief as they return to us bringing their relatives and friends.
- Langma School of Languages is the best foreign language institute, offering Spanish Language Programme globally. Langma School of Languages offers courses in more than 150 foreign and regional languages. Langma School of Languages is the only institute offering international diploma in Spanish language (Espanol language)D.I.E.
- Langma School of Languages works a “facilitator” instead of being a “transmitter” of knowledge. Langma School of Languages not only emphasises on improving the language skills but also helps students develop overall-personality.
- Langma School of Languages follows an international standard “Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)” whilst teaching foreign languages ranging from A1 (Beginners) to C2 (Proficient). Langma School of Languages is fully equipped such as Computer lab, Library, and Wi-Fi facility. Langma School of Languages use its own tested methodology: the Audio/Video – cum – Interactive Method (ACIM), giving a proven quick and easy grasp of the languages. ACIM offers fast result in comprehension and speaking by introducing words and phrases in a structured way to develop sentence framing in an understandable manner, our methodology is suitable for learners of all age group and easily adapted to specific needs.
- The growth of Developing countries remains one of the most anticipated economic and its fulfilment relies on multilingual. A broader foundation of language training enable students enables students to become part of the developed world, their lives become enriched and their future set firmly on the path to success. Langma School of Languages courses of Spanish Language offers an insight into history, literature, culture, and arts. Langma School of Language is the best training centre for both classroom and online where one can choose individual or group sessions according to their requirements. Our dedicated team of teachers are highly experienced and qualified, some with more than 14 years of teaching experience whilst others hold PhD or other relevant qualification from internationally recognised institutions. They bring their experience to classes: implement a practical approach into their lessons.
- Langma School of Languages is active in promoting the growth and development of Spanish learning skills through our classroom and online platform across the world. We take very seriously the importance of providing specific Spanish skills to suit our student’s and client’s needs along with being aware of the reputation of both our self’s and our clients and students by ensuring the highest standards of training. Langma School of Languages’ forward thinking approach takes into consideration new developments in teaching practice; we have adopted a pro-active role in lobbying Government bodies, institutions, and several diplomatic centres to take seriously the importance of being multilingual.
- Langma School of Languages offers a best platform to prepare for the international exams like: DELE, SIELE, and others. Classes at Langma School of Languages, are offered under the supervision of native speakers, who have years of expertise in preparing students for these exams. A basic structure is created by imparting an overall knowledge of the topic followed by practical exercises and interactive practice sessions. Langma School of Languages’ expertise in education and its ongoing development are brought into play with specific topics and practice sessions designed exclusively for the students.
- Langma School of Languages offers a best platform to acquire the knowledge of Spanish language and culture. Langma School of Languages covers a range of relevant and fun based areas deemed to be of the greatest value and interest to the participants.
- Langma School of Languages is lead by a team of accomplished teachers and authors with a broad experience in education and interpersonal skills, our inspirational and motivational teaching methods have won the hearts of thousands of students during their illustrious career. Our programme of training is designed specifically for the students and clients and expected outcomes are always reached and exceeded. Students and participants not only gain the required skills they enjoy learning and in many cases have gone on to achieve tops jobs and reach their goals with work wise and personally.
- Langma School of Languages’ client base is extensive and comprehensive including: The Indian Army, Indian Navy, British High Commission, Government Ministers, Members of Parliament (MPs), and Foreign embassies like Embassy of The Czech Republic, Embassy of The United Arab Emirates, Embassy of The Republic of Indonesia, Embassy of The Republic of Benin, and Embassy of The Republic of Congo; and it has provided training programmes for individuals and corporate houses throughout the world. These are just a few of Langma School of Languages’ impressive and ongoing service providers.
- Our Spanish language for beginners programme ensure that anyone can start speaking basic Spanish within a few weeks. Our online Spanish language course with offline classes makes us the best spanish language institute. Learn spanish online with langma now!
Experience professional and authentic Spanish classes with our Qualified Native-Speakers
All of our Spanish language teachers at Langma School of Languages are Native-Speakers and highly qualified, each with specialist and cross over training credentials have between them years of experience and abilities in all areas of training. Langma School of Languages not only ensures that you receive quality teaching, but also acquire authentic Spanish dialect and terminology. One can gain theoretical knowledge from book; however, to gain practical and spoken experience can only be attained in the classroom to be prepared for future endeavour. Our teachers at Langma School of Languages encourage extracurricular practice and it is envisaged that spoken Spanish Spoken skill is taken beyond the formal teaching environment and into the students’ daily lives. Teachers provide written exercises and presentation, role play, Group discussion, and extempore to keep students engaged and consistently using the words and phrases they learnt. Our online Spanish language course with offline classes makes us the best spanish language institute. Learn spanish online with langma now!