GERMANY FACT FILE
- Official Language: German
- Population: 83 million
- Capital: Berlin
- Government: Federal republic
- Literacy: More than 99% can read & write.
- Currency: Euro
- Calling Code: +49
- Time Zone: GMT +2
- National Colours: Black, Red, & Gold
- Major Rivers: Rhine, Elbe, Main, Danube
German Language(Deutsch) is a West-Germanic language that is majorly spoken in Central Europe. Moreover, it is an official and co-official language of many European countries like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Hungary, Poland, and Denmark. It is most similar to other West Germanic languages – including Afrikaans, Dutch, and English. Furthermore, the similarities in vocabulary can be seen in languages like Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian.
Some Fascinating German Language Facts
If you wish to learn the German Language then it is important to know the history and origins of the language you are learning. Langma School of Languages offers an insight into the fascinating German Language facts:
German is part of the West Germanic languages like English and Dutch
For centuries Germany has been divided into several small states, it was unified primarily by its literature, since the writers presented their view which helped the readers to understand the similarities and develop a national consciousness . When the unification of Germany started in the 19th century, linguist standardisations were adopted. Today’s largest German dictionary in existence is “Deutsches Wörterbuch”, which was begun by the Brothers Grimm in 1838.
German is the 3rd highest spoken Language in Europe
“German Sprachraum” means Central European German-speaking countries like Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein. German is an official or minority language in South Tyrol (Italy), Luxembourg, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, and Namibia.
Some of the German words are unique and cannot be translated into other languages
- “Lufftschloss” which means “castle in the sky” and used to state someone’s unrealistic dreams
- “Heimat” is a positive German terminology which states the relationship between a person and homeland
- “Blaumachen” is similar to the English expression “Blue Monday” which means usually on Mondays one feels gloomy or dispirited, especially because one has to return to work or school after the weekend
Similarities in German and English
English is a language which is originally derived from West-Germanic, 2000 years ago. Therefore, English and German languages are siblings meaning they are still closely related today. Since both the languages are originated from the same roots, it would be a little surprising to know that there are strong resemblances between the two. It is estimated that more than a third of English non-technical lexicons are Germanic; furthermore, both languages have borrowed words from Latin, Greek, and French.
If you can speak English, that means you know a few German words. The English language has loaned many words from German and some of the words are frequently used. For example, “kindergarten” means “play school”, “Iceberg/Eisberg” “berg means mountain” “mountain of ice” & “Rucksack” means “a bag with shoulder straps carried on someone’s back”. There are many words borrowed in German languages and this can be especially evident in the words of technology, music, advertising, and fashion where an English speaker can hear a lot of familiar words and phrases. For instance, words like “Computer”, “Designer”, “Album”, “Image”, and “Laser” are all borrowed from the English language.
For English speakers who wish to learn the German language, the most prominent similarity can be noticed in the grammatical rules. This can be understood through the way verbs change their form and it can be further demonstrated with the verb “To drink” which is “Trinken” (German). English word would change its form according to tense “Drink – Drank – Drunk”; moreover, the German Language follows the same rules “Trinket – Trank – Getrunken”, and other verbs follow similar basic rules. Hence, an English speaker may have an idea of German verb patterns from the beginning.
Some Interesting Facts About Germany
- Germany is the smallest nation according to the area; however, it is the world’s second-largest exporter.
- Germany’s foreign direct investment (FDI) in the United States is more than $10 billion dollars.
- German economy ranks number one in Europe and number four worldwide.
- Many international companies have made Germany their home.
- Germany is the EU’s largest economy, with a GDP of $3.73 trillion which equals all the Spanish-speaking countries combined.
- Germany is home to an intriguing culture, with a population of 81 million people which makes it the second most populated country in Europe.
- Germany produces more than 300 varieties of baked bread.
- Germany is one of the world’s largest car producers and home to many luxurious automobile companies like “Volkswagen”, “Mercedes”, “Audi”, “BMW” & “Porsche”
- The biggest “Beer Festival” in the world is organised “Oktoberfest” in Munich, Bavaria, where the stein (beer glass) is of a litre.
German Culture: Customs & Traditions
Germany is well-known throughout the world for its long and rich history, which puts it at the forefront of European art, architecture, thought, & politics for over 1,000 years. The shaped culture is predominantly known due to its Christian values with art, literature, philosophy, reason, logic, and love for beer and sausages.
Why choose Langma School of Languages for learning German
- Langma School of Languages is the pioneer in providing quality education of German language to students and offers the best online German language course and classroom training. We at Langma School of Languages combine several things to create a unique learning experience that has set us apart. Our students share their beliefs as they return to us bringing their relatives and friends. Langma School of Languages offers online German language course for different age groups and have various courses to choose from like "German for Kids", German for Doctors", German for everyone" and it is recognised as one of the best institutes globally.
- Langma School of Languages works as a “facilitator” instead of being a “transmitter” of knowledge. Langma School of Languages not only emphasises improving language skills but also helps students develop an overall personality.
- Langma School of Languages follows an international standard “Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)” whilst teaching foreign languages ranging from A1 (Beginners) to C2 (Proficient). Langma School of Languages is fully equipped such as Computer Lab, Library, and Wi-Fi facility. Langma School of Languages uses its own tested methodology: the Audio/Video – cum – Interactive Method (ACIM), giving a proven quick and easy grasp of the languages. ACIM offers fast results in comprehension and speaking by introducing words and phrases in a structured way to develop sentence framing in an understandable manner, our methodology is suitable for learners of all age groups and easily adaptable to specific needs and requirements.
- The growth of developing countries remains one of the most anticipated economic concerns and its fulfilment relies on multilingual. A broader foundation of language training enables students to become part of the developed world, their lives have become enriched and their future sets firmly on the path to success. Langma School of Languages courses of German Language offers an insight into history, literature, culture, and arts. Langma School of Language is the best training centre for both classroom and online teaching where one can choose individual or group sessions according to their requirements. Our dedicated team of teachers are highly experienced and qualified, some with more than 14 years of teaching experience whilst others hold PhD or other relevant qualifications from internationally recognised institutions. They bring their experience to classes and implement a practical approach into their lessons.
- Langma School of Languages actively promotes the growth and development of German learning skills through our classroom and online platform across the world. We understand the importance of providing specific German skills to suit our students' and clients' needs along with being aware of the reputation of both our selves' and our clients and students by ensuring the highest standards of training. Langma School of Languages’ forward-thinking approach takes into consideration new developments in teaching practice; we have adopted a pro-active role in lobbying Government bodies, institutions, and several diplomatic centres to take the importance of multilingualism seriously.
- Langma School of Languages offers the best platform to prepare for international exams like GOETHE (TestDaf), TELC, and others. Our online German Classes are offered under the supervision of native speakers, who have years of expertise in preparing students for these exams. A basic structure is created by imparting an overall knowledge of the topic followed by practical exercises and interactive practice sessions. Langma School of Languages’ expertise in education and its ongoing development are brought into play with specific topics and practice sessions designed exclusively for the students.
- Langma School of Languages offers the best platform to acquire knowledge of the German language and culture. Langma School of Languages covers a wide range of relevant and fun-based areas deemed to be of the greatest value and interest to the participants.
- Langma School of Languages is led by a team of accomplished teachers and authors with broad experience in education and interpersonal skills, our inspirational and motivational teaching methods have won the hearts of thousands of students during their illustrious careers. Our online German language course and online German classes are designed specifically for the students and clients and expected outcomes are always achieved and exceeded. Students and participants not only gain the required skills they enjoy learning and in many cases have gone on to achieve tops jobs and reach their goals with work-wise and personally.
- Langma School of Languages’ client base is extensive and comprehensive including The Indian Army, Indian Navy, British High Commission, Government Ministers, Members of Parliament (MPs), and Foreign embassies like the Embassy of The Czech Republic, Embassy of The United Arab Emirates, Embassy of The Republic of Indonesia, Embassy of The Republic of Benin, and Embassy of The Republic of Congo; and it has provided training programmes for individuals and corporate houses throughout the world. These are just a few of Langma School of Languages’ impressive and ongoing service providers.
Experience professional and authentic German classes with our Qualified Native-Speakers
All of our German language teachers at Langma School of Languages are Native-Speakers and highly qualified, each with specialised and cross over training credentials along with years of experience and abilities in all areas of training, including the German language for beginners. Langma School of Languages not only ensures that you receive quality teaching but also acquire authentic German dialect and terminology. You can gain theoretical knowledge from the book, however, gaining practical and spoken experience can be attained in a classroom setup. It prepares you for the future endeavours. Our teachers at Langma School of Languages encourage extracurricular practice and it is ensured that spoken German skill is taken beyond the formal teaching environment and into the students’ daily lives. Teachers provide written exercises and presentations, role play, Group discussion, and extempore to keep students engaged and consistently using the words and phrases they learnt. Learn German online at Langma School of Languages, the best German language institute!