ITALY FACT FILE
- Official Languages: Italian
- Dialects: Swiss Italian
- Population: 62 million
- Capital: Roma
- Government: Democracy, Republic
- Literacy: More than 98% can read and write
- Currency: Euro
- Calling Code: +39
- Time Zone: GMT+2
- National Day: 2 June (Festa Della Repubblica)
- Italian is a Romance language of the Indo-European Language Family and it is the closet language to Latin, from which it descends via Vulgar Latin. Italian is an official language in Italy, Switzerland, San Marino, and Vatican. It also has an official minority status in western Croatia and Slovenia. Italian formerly held an official status in Albania, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Greece and is generally understood in Corsica due to its close relation with the Tuscan-influenced local language and Savoie.
- Italian first started to appear in written documents during the 10th century in the form of notes and short texts inserted into Latin documents such as lawsuits and poetry. For a long there was no standard written or spoken language in Italy and writers tended to write in their own regional dialects and languages. In northern Italy, which was often ruled by the French, French and Occitan were used as literary languages.
Some Fascinating Italian Language Facts
- Italian has slowly evolved from Latin into many regional dialects. At the end of middle ages, the Tuscan dialect became the most preferred and popular of Italian, due to the centrally located (Florence) and its thriving economy. Dante, Petrarca, and Boccaccio, came from Tuscany, who left a long lasting mark on the Italian language. When the peninsula was unified in 19th century Italian became the official language of Italy.
- There are more than 85 million native speaker of Italian language; 65 million Italian speakers are native speakers within the European Union. It is primarily spoken in Italy; however, is also an official language in San Marino, Switzerland, and Vatican City. Due to wide Italian Diaspora, it is a minority language in various countries across the globe.
- Italian’s longest word is precipitevolissimevolmente, and stands for “in a way like someone or something that acts very hastily”. Other long Italian words include particolareggiatissimamente (“in an extremely detailed way”) and anticostituzionalissimamente (“in a way that strongly violates the constitution”).
- Italian has significantly influenced English and other European languages and some of the Italian origin words that can be heard in English are Broccoli, Fiasco, Propaganda, Flu, Quarantine, Lottery, and Zucchini.
- Italian is considered as the universal language of music, especially classic music. There are countless occurrences of Italian loanwords such as Cappella, Maestro, Orchestra, Crescendo, and Soprano. There are many compositors and musician being Italian when musical notation appeared during the Renaissance ultimately Italian became the standard language for musicians and music lovers.
Similarities in Italian and English
- Italian is based on Latin whilst English is a hybrid with dual Latin and Germanic roots. Latin was the language of the clergy and the educated, reflected the fact that to this day. Latinate words are often perceived as fancy ones, and the Germanic ones, often signifying more or less the same thing, are the rough, common versions. For example, “veracity (truth)”, “Lateral (side)”, and “verdant (green).
- Both English and Italian take their common words from “Vulgar Latin”, a conversational version of Latin spoken by commoners in the Roman Empire. During the period, “Vulgar Latin” was spoken primarily by slaves, soldiers, and immigrants, which allowed it to spread far and wide across the continent.
Some Interesting Facts About Italy
- The colours of the Italian flag represent “hope (green)”, “faith (white)”, and “charity (red)”. The flag was inspired by the French of similar design.
- According to the date of 2019, 65 million tourists visited Italy (Rome, Florence, and Pisa).
- Italy is the 8th largest economy in the world, with a GDP of $1.99 trillion.
- Italy’s foreign direct investment (FDI) in the US is more than $32 billion.
- Italy has 54 World Heritage Sites, 5 of which are joined with other countries. These include the Amalfi Coast, the Historic Centre of Florence, and the Famous Lagoons in Venice.
- There are 12 minority languages officially recognised in Italy. These include Albanian, Catalan, French, German, Greek, Slovene, and Sardinian
- Some of the major Italian fashion brands, such as Valentino, Versace, Prada, Armani, Dolce & Gabbana, Mami, Iceberg, Missoni, Trussardi, Moschino, Dirk Bikkembergs, Etro, and Zegan are currently headquartered in the city.
- Italy is one of the significant automobile producers both in Europe and across the world. Today, the Italian automotive industry is almost totally dominated by Fiat Group; as well as its own, predominantly mass-market model range, Fiat owns upmarket Alfa Romeo and Lancia brands and the exotic Maserati brand apart from these Ferrari and Lamborghini are the world’s beautiful cars.
- The pronunciation is soft and very melodic and so is still used in opera and is popular by young musicians. Even German composers used the language in opera as it sounds much softer than German.
Italian Culture: Customs & Traditions
Italy is a peninsula in Southern Europe. It has approximately 61 million inhabitants, 96% of whom are Italians. The remaining 4% of residents include North Africans, Italo-Albanians, Albanians, German, Austrian and other European groups. The Italian culture is commonly associated with art, music, and food. It is the homeland of the Roman Empire, the Roman Catholic Church and the main centre of the Renaissance, which flourished through Europe for centuries.
Around 90% of Italians are Roman Catholic. Rome is home to Vatican City, which is the hub of Roman Catholicism and is where the Pope resides. The remaining 10% Italians are Protestant, Jewish, or Muslim.
Why choose Langma School of Languages for learning Italian Language
- Langma School of Languages has made the transition to a centre of excellence in Italian language.
- Our international team provide exceptional training in Italian language; the wide range of programme is provided by both native speakers and experts of different origin, all our faculty are extremely proficient and experienced, thereby offering the highest standard of training.
- Langma School of Languages’ objective is to provide exceptional teaching to students of all ages and levels, from school standard to professional, academics no matter what background or discipline they are engaged in, and we aim to exceed the expectations of our students by providing outcomes derived from the excellence of our training.
- Langma’s programme would provide the highest standard of foreign language training and encourage sustainable development with innovation in an environment of creative language acquisition.
- If you are looking for knowledge based interactive programmes leading to success in the field of Italian language, Langma School of Languages has everything you need all under one roof.
- Langma School of Languages is committed to providing the best standards of teaching and corporate training and enabling you to reach the peak in your domain.
- The main aims and objectives of Langma School of Languages, to provide unfettered access to the study of Italian language for all sections of society.
- We at Langma School of Languages firmly believe in the concept of the global village. With the advent of a multi-faceted digital world, this concept is more significant now than ever before and foreign language has become the link language.
- Our teaching methodology lays emphasis on Speaking, Writing, Listening, and Reading skills. We have evolved an interactive method that focuses on effective communication skills. Through our method we enable learners to have quick grasp of the Italian language. They are able to frame sentences quickly, thereby facilitating communication. Our interactive approach kindles an interest in verbal and social contact with others. The module relies heavily on audio-visual tools. This makes for easier learning and greater facility in Italian Language. A vast collection of Audio and Video CDs give the students a chance to see how the language is spoken by native speakers.
BECOME A MASTER IN ITALIAN LANGUAGE WITHOUT LEAVING HOME.
Langma School of languages offers classroom and online Italian language training to students according to their availability and we are the only language centre which offers classes round the clock. Our programmes are designed to suit the need of individuals. Now our classes are offered round the clock and one can avail these classes just after submitting their application and course fee. One can learn as per their convenience. Our classes have proven to be beneficial for those who are excessively occupied in their work during working hours.
LANGMA FACULTIES FOR THE ITALIAN LANGUAGE
Leads and guides others to develop new skills or knowledge that will enhance their work. Design, develop, and delivers training programmes which cater the need of our students. Our teachers would help students to understand how to communicate information to individuals or groups, how to deliver presentation suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience. Students are taught the importance of clear and concise written information or writing to individuals or groups to ensure that they understand the information and message. Our teachers are highly qualified and possess years of expertise in the field of teaching, listen carefully to students and address the problem appropriately. Our teachers possess a designated level of professional skills and knowledge in specific area and keep the current with developments and trends in the area of expertise.
Experience Professional and authentic Italian Language classes with our Qualified Native-Speakers
Beginning with a very small setup, Langma School of Languages has grown by leaps and bounds. It has been instrumental in providing Italian Language instruction to millions. It has successfully conducted seminars and placed its students in the field of BPO, Event Management, FMCG, Aviation, and PR. Our team focus on customised training. The organisation is well-equipped with classrooms, auditorium, and an elaborate computer networking. Teachers are well qualified, experienced in the field of language training, experts in areas like grammar, accent, group discussion, and etc. Langma School of Languages is competent enough to take up any assignments from the target groups.